Province: Ontario (CA-ON)
Assignment : Permanent
Posting End Date : 02/19/2019
Reporting to the Vice President – External Relations, the role of this position and unit is to promote the Great-Lakes Seaway System’s economic and political value as an integrated and viable bi-national transportation system.
The Manager builds and maintains relationships with stakeholders of the broader Seaway community and with governmental entities, and manages external communications for the Corporation in order to increase awareness of the positive impacts and contributions of the Seaway system as a whole as well as mitigate any political and community development that could inhibit SLSMC’s mandate, mission and strategic direction.
The role promotes and engages with adjacent communities towards a harmonized and shared use of the waterway as well as harmonizes local activities while maintaining its broader strategic objectives and operational needs.
- In collaboration with other departments and/or regions, translates strategic and business needs (mission) into management decisions, practices, priorities and work assignments of his/her department;
- Manages the appropriate allocation of resources – human, financial and physical assets – for the optimal performance, safety and productivity of his/her unit;
- Leads and coaches personnel towards the achievement of objectives of the Corporation and his/her unit;
- Respects and works within the boundaries of legislative requirements, contractual agreements, resource allocation and the policies, procedures or standards of the SLSMC;
- Fosters effective communications, positive working relationships within his/her unit, the Corporation and with external entities in order to ensure ongoing commitment to the Corporation’s vision and long term sustainability.
- Provides technical or functional leadership, support and in some cases, decisions in the area of external communications, government and community relations on matters that promotes the benefits of marine transportation specific to Seaway and/or mitigate negative relations that could negatively affect the Corporation’s mandate;
- Maintains and managers close relationships with broader stakeholders in order to obtain optimal cooperation on SLSMC objectives. In some cases, leads changes and activities in collaboration with both internal colleagues and external contacts on joint activities.
Examples of stakeholders include:
- Canadian government agencies at all levels
- SLSDC Management (Washington) of SLSDC
- Interest Groups such as SODES, SFC, CMC, AGLPA
- Transport Canada (support on MOMA negotiations, Lands/Lease agreements, etc)
- Acting as a Champion for Change
- Championing Customer Needs
- Managing Risk
- Critical Thinking
- Organizational Savvy
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving
- Performance Measurement
- Initiative and autonomy
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in both official languages
Experience and qualifications
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ relevant experience in a corporate external communications role with solid knowledge and experience in making full use of all communication tools;
- A minimum of five years’ Management experience combined with experience at interacting with and influencing corporate executives, senior level government officials, contractors and various other stakeholders;
- Large network of contacts, ideally within Canadian government agencies, Ontario and Quebec provincial governments, interest groups and Transport Canada;
- Exposure to the transportation sector, and in particular, ideally, the maritime sector;
- Experience in managing a corporate image and interacting and influencing various community groups;
- Perfectly bilingual in both official languages combined with strong writing and presentation skills;
Ideal personal profile:
- A Passionate and dedicated communicator and relationship builder with strong communications and interpersonal skills;
- An organized manager, skilled at planning and prioritizing;
- Innovative and creative, yet analytical and attentive to details;
- Honest, empathetic, level-headed and credible with a sound judgment;
- Flexible and adaptable in his interactions with others, yet resilient and at ease under pressure;
- At ease with managing change, enabling the community and collaborating with all stakeholders;
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
Projected start date: 05/01/2019
To apply on this position, please send your resume to Darlene Parnell at email@example.com
Dedicated to the principles of employment equity. the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation is committed to building an inclusive, barrier-free workplace and encourages women, members of a visible minority group, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities to apply.